Table Of Contents:
Are you thinking of getting yourself a Mac? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This article will help you pick the best Mac for gaming. Read this extensive article to choose a Mac that’s right for you. Before further ado, let’s learn about Mac computers.
Are Macs Good For Gaming?
Yes, they are but there’s more to that than meets the eye. Macs are focused on productivity and creativity rather than gaming. So, it’s tough to pick the most efficient Mac for gaming. Besides, most games aren’t built to run on Apple’s M-series of chips but Windows.
What To Look Out For Before Choosing A Gaming Mac?
Before choosing a Mac for gaming, you need to decide on its configuration. The configuration of your Mac will decide whether you can play a modern-day game on it. So, you need to pick a Mac that has a strong configuration.
But what’s the required configuration? What to look out for as regards the configuration of a Mac? There are three components of a Mac that you need to look out for that make the prime part its configuration. These three components are CPU, GPU and RAM. Check out the details of these three components below:
- CPU: CPU is a principal part of a Mac. It can also be termed a processor. A gaming Mac requires a high-end CPU to run high-action games. The best Mac for gaming should have a fast processor. A Mac with a fast processor means that you can play almost all of the modern-day games on it. Therefore, you need to get a Mac with the newest processor.
- RAM: A lag while playing games on your Mac will ruin your experience. Do you know what can save you from this issue? Well, the right amount of memory will. In that sense, you should get a Mac that supports at least 16GB of RAM.
- GPU: Modern-day games mean high-performance graphics. The 3D graphics of today’s games are very immersive. To support these graphics, you need the best GPU. Apple’s M2 Pro chip comes with a 19-Core CPU. So, it’s what you’re looking for.
- Battery Backup
- Screen Specifications
- Keyboard and Touchpad
Top 3 Mac To Play Games: Comparison Table
MacBook Pro 16-inch (2023, M2 Max)
Mac Mini (M2 Pro,
Mac Studio (M2 Ultra, 2023)
|CPU||12 core CPU||10 core CPU||24 core CPU|
|GPU||38 core GPU||16 core GPU||60 core GPU|
|RAM||32 GB||16 GB||64 GB|
|Storage||1 TB SSD||512 SSD||1 TB SSD|
|Display||3456 x 2236 Liquid Retina XDR||Supports up to 3 Display||Supports up to 8 Display|
The Best Macs For Gaming In 2023
We’re sure that you’ve been eagerly waiting for this moment. So, here are some of the best Macs that you can get for gaming.
1st Choice: MacBook Pro 16-inch (2023, M2 Max)
This beast can surely be termed as the best Mac for gaming. It has all the required sets of configurations. From CPU and GPU to RAM and Storage, all the specifications of the 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro (M2 Max) are top-notch.
This laptop is focused on users who do heavy gaming. Therefore, this is the first on our list. Now, let’s take a look at its price and configuration.
- The 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro will cost you $3,499.
The configuration of the 2023 16-Inch MacBook Pro will leave you stunned. This gaming Mac has a series of plus points regarding its CPU, GPU, display, and whatnot. Here are the details:
- CPU: 12-core CPU with 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
- GPU: 38-core GPU
- RAM: 32GB unified memory that can be extended up to 2TB, 4TB or 8TB
- Display: 3456 x 2236 Liquid Retina XDR
- Storage: 1TB SSD that can be boosted up to 8TB
- Ports: 3x USB-C (Thunderbolt 4), 1x HDMI, 1x headphone jack, 1x MagSafe, 1x SD card slot
In order to check the configuration of a Mac, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of your Mac.
- Step 2: Click on “About this Mac”. This will show you the configuration.
This MacBook is an obvious choice for gamers in the year 2023 because of its performance. The 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro comes with the M2 Max chip that’s too good to be true. The incremental upgrade that this chip brings to the table is commendable.
The M2 Max has 12 CPU cores that’ll give you a memorable gaming experience. Moreover, the successor to the M1 Max chip supports 38 GPU cores. Such a great level of graphics will surely immerse you in the real world of gaming. That’s the reason why pro gamers use the 2023 16-inch MacBook Pro (M2 Max).
Reasons To Choose
The first and foremost reason to choose this MacBook is its CPU and GPU. The CPU and GPU of this MacBook will support all the new games. Not to forget about its powerful RAM that’ll give you a smooth gaming experience. Also, the Liquid Retina XDR display of this Mac is too impressive.
Reasons To Avoid
We’ll not suggest you buy this laptop if you already have the 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro. One more reason to avoid this laptop is its price. At $3,499, this MacBook Pro is too expensive to satisfy your gaming desires. But again, it’s worth the price.
The best MacBook that you can get right now is this one. A laptop with such great specifications shouldn’t be belittled at any cost. We strongly recommend this Mac for pro gamers who need to test multiple games.
2nd Choice: Mac Mini (M2 Pro, 2023)
The 2023 M2 Pro Mac Mini is one of the most inexpensive Macs from Apple. Besides its attractive price, it has a lot of X-factors that can excite your interest.
The latest M2 generation processor of Apple is surely making this Mac stand out from the rest. In terms of performance, this thing of beauty can outperform its counterparts. Let’s take a look at its price and configuration.
The 2023 Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip will go easy on your wallet. It costs $1,299. Now, for most Apple users, this can be termed as an attractive price. So, there you go!
Designed for a fairly specific group of customers, this Mac has a lot to flaunt. Here’s a brief look at the configuration of this year’s Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip:
- CPU: 10-core CPU with 6 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
- GPU: 16-core GPU
- RAM: 16GB unified memory that can be extended up to 32GB
- Display: Simultaneously supports up to three displays: Up to three displays: Two displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI.Up to two displays: One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI. One display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI.
- Storage: 512GB SSD that’s configurable to 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, or 8TB
- Ports: 4x Thunderbolt/USB 4, HDMI, 2x USB-A, Ethernet (up to 10GB), 3.5mm headphone jack
Powerful, fast and affordable, the Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip is a big hit among folks. It’s identical to its predecessor in terms of appearance. However, when it comes to power, it has surely left behind its predecessor.
If you’re looking for a small powerhouse of a Mac then this is the one. This little powerful machine is backed with a 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU. Now, you might say that this is way less than the MacBook Pro.
However, you can’t compare these two because this is a desktop computer while the MacBook is a laptop. At a 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU, this Mac can transform the way you think of computer games. Let’s understand some of the reasons why you should choose this one.
Reasons To Choose
One of the biggest reasons to choose this Mac is its processor. The M2 Pro gives you the power and speed that’s required for computer games. This is the first time Apple has equipped its Mac Mini with the pro chip. So, you better leverage this opportunity.
At such a great price point, and with the M2 Pro chip, you ought to get this computer. It’ll surely take the immersive gaming experience to a whole new level.
Reasons To Avoid
This 2023 version of the Mac Mini falls short at some points. First of all, there are no ports on the front. So, that’s a different kind of fatigue.
Secondly, if you’re connecting the Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip with wireless peripherals, the setup can get a bit daunting. And above all, there’s no SD card slot. So, there are certain areas in which the 2023 version of the Mac Mini fails to impress.
Well, it looks like Mac Mini’s pros have won over its cons. The Mac Mini offers pretty much everything at a reasonable price. Moreover, the “reasons to avoid” should not dissuade you from getting this Mac.
That’s because those reasons can be avoided. The most important thing that needs to be considered here is that you’re choosing it for gaming. Therefore, you shouldn’t mind lacking the ports in the front or the SD card slot thing. As per our understanding, the Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip is good to go!
3rd Choice: Mac Studio (M2 Ultra, 2023)
Did you ask for the giant? Well, the giant is here! Made for power users like you, the Mac Studio is a highly efficient machine. The major component of this machine that gives it all the power is the M2 Ultra chip.
This chip will blow your mind as regards performance, entertainment, gaming, you name it. That’s the reason why professional gamers trust this machine for visually stunning games with high graphics. You might be waiting to learn about the price and configuration of this one. So, let’s dive right into the details.
The Mac Studio with the M2 Ultra chip will cost you $3,999. Now, that’s a lot of money. But all we can say is that it’s worth the configuration you’ll be getting.
This Mac is made for those who prefer nothing but only the best. You might want to sit tight because the configuration of this Mac will more than blow your mind. Here’s what you’ve been waiting for:
- CPU: 24-core CPU with 16 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores
- GPU: 60-core GPU
- RAM: 64GB unified memory that can be enhanced up to 192GB
- Display: Simultaneous support for up to eight displays: Eight displays with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz. Six displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz. Three displays with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz. Thunderbolt 4 digital video output Support for native DisplayPort output over USB‑C.HDMI display video output Support for one display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or 4K resolution at 240Hz. Support for variable refresh rate (VRR), HDR and multichannel audio.
- Storage: 1TB SSD that’s configurable to 2TB, 4TB or 8TB
- Ports: 8 Thunderbolt 4 ports. Dual 10Gb Ethernet. 1 internal USB-A port. 2 external USB-A ports. 2 HDMI ports. 2 SATA ports6 full-length PCIe. Gen 4 slots. 1 half-length x4 PCIe Gen 3 with Apple I/O card.
With its new M2 Ultra chip, the Mac Studio takes power to an unprecedented level. The all new M2 Ultra chip is an excellent blend of two M2 Max chips. This type of chip takes this Apple computer on a great leap forward.
Everything about this Mac can be defined as supreme. The CPU and GPU core counts of this Mac are amazing. It has created some benchmarks that’ll be too tough to outshine in the future. So, let’s read some of the precise reasons why this is the best Mac for gaming.
Reasons To Choose
Well, you should definitely choose this gaming Mac because of the level of fast performance it offers. The 16 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores of the 2023 Mac Studio make it the perfect gaming beast that you’re looking for. Moreover, the Mac Studio has been updated to Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3. So, that’s a great thing!
Reasons To Avoid
The fact that you can’t upgrade the internals of this Mac after you purchase it is a bummer. Also, it’s very pricey.
In conclusion, we can only say that this Mac is what you should be investing in. It’s expensive but every bit of it sings praises of its value and worth. So, thumbs up for sure!
Recommended Article: Top 3 Best MacBooks For Programming, Coding, Developers
The Bottom Line: Best Mac For Gaming
Gaming Macs like the three of these are the future of the computer gaming world. All the Macs in this list are ultra-modern in terms of everything. We hope this in-depth article has helped you reach a conclusion. So, which Mac will you be getting for yourself?
Priyanka is a tech enthusiast who likes to write about different kinds of topics in the tech industry. She has expertise in writing problem-solving guides related to Mac computers. You can find her on LinkedIn.